My ipad is not turning on what do i do
What to do if your iPhone or iPad will not turn on
Level 7 (34,931 points)
Last Modified: Jan 29, 2014 10:06 AM
This has probably happened to everyone at some time: You press the POWER button on your iPhone - and nothing happens. Usually, this can be resolved easily. Either your battery has run down, or iOS has "crashed" and needs to be rebooted. On rare occasion the firmware has been corrupted, but let's save that for last. The following steps will usually get your phone working again in a few seconds:
- Unless you are absolutely certain that there is plenty of charge left on the battery, connect the phone to a wall charger for at least 15 minutes. If it was just a low battery the phone will come on by itself. If it doesn't go to step 2.
- Hold the HOME and POWER (aka SLEEP) at the same time. An Apple logo should appear in 10 - 20 seconds. Relase both buttons, wait about a minute, and your phone should be back to normal.
- Occasionally it may be necessary to toggle the Mute switch a couple of times before Step 2. No one is sure why, but sometimes it helps if just holding the 2 buttons doesn't work.
If absolutely nothing happens after step 3. either your phone is broken, your cable is defective, or your charger has failed. Try different chargers and cables to isolate the problem. Or take all of them to an Apple store for diagnosis (make a genius bar appointment before going).
If you get an error message, or you see a picture of a USB plug and iTunes, you will need to restore your phone with iTunes. This, fortunately, is a very rare occurrence.
Like Show 148 Likes (148 )
Assuming it is now charged…
Hold Home & Power buttons for at least 45 seconds, see if it starts up normally.
- Plug your iPad's USB cable into a computer with iTunes.
- Hold down the Home button [keep holding] and connect to your iPad.
If the above doesn't work, you may need to get a fully operational iPad charger and plug it into the wall. The current and voltage needed to wake an iPad with a deeply discharged battery (or one that's malfunctioning due to age) is higher than a computer can provide over USB.
- Plug into a known good iPad type adapter (higher current than iPhone charger)
- Wait 15 minutes
- Try powering on
- Wait 10 minutes
- Try a hard reset (hold home button and sleep wake button together for 15 seconds)
- Wait 5 minutes
- Try powering on
At that point, you can let it charge for another hour and try again or start with a different cable or a different charger. Eventually, you'll need to have the iPad serviced if it cannot wake from sleep due to a very low batter charge condition even when plugged into power.
My quest to fix a broken iPad 16 February 2014 Media caption After breaking her iPad 2 screen, Click's LJ Rich decided to learn how to fix it herself. Considering our reliance on smartphones...
Best iPad Project Management Apps to Manage Projects on the Go Project management is essential for both small teams and large corporations. It is one of the most essential factors that decide...
What is the Best Office App for my iPhone or iPod Touch? by Matthew Guay on November 17th, 2010 Want to see what all of the major Office apps for iPhone and iPod Touch offer without wasting...
Movie HD For iPad/iPhone Download (Movies App on iPhone 6/6 Plus) Stream Movies TV shows For Free. Is that a Joke? No Man, not at all. There is an app the gives you total control over movies...
iPad mini Video Converter The iPad mini can play a variety of very common movie file types including mp4, m4v, and mov. If you have such a movie on a computer that you want to watch on the iPad...